Monday, March 28, 2011

On Synchronicity and the Power of Thought...

Many of us have had the experience of thinking of a close friend, then deciding to contact them, and as you reach for the phone, they beat you to it, or perhaps the other way around. Or maybe you think to e-mail that person, only to find a note from them when you check your inbox. I have had several more intense instances of what I like to call 'thought energy' happen in my life, and a couple of phenomenal ones recently. The first significant time was in 1995 when I was 26. On a late Sunday afternoon, I was driving home from the beach, and went over a drawbridge. I recalled that one of my customers, Jack Andersen, was one of the bridge tenders of that bridge, having the job of communicating with boats, and operating the draw bridge as needed. I didn't think any more about him until the next day at work, I had gone home for lunch, and on the drive back, I thought of Mr. Andersen. When I walked back into my department, he was standing at the counter. A few months later, I was thinking of John Hite, one of my early mentors when I first got into the auto parts business back in 1987. Just wondered where he was and what he was up to. The next day he stopped by and ordered parts from me. I hadn't thought of or seen him in 8 years. In January of 2011 I was working out at my gym. I was on the elliptical trainer, when suddenly the words "heart attack" popped into my head. I wasn't sure why, and I checked my heart rate, which was normal for the activity I was doing. I looked up, and my eyes were drawn to an older man who was working out on the chest machine in front of me. I had a foreboding sense that something was about to happen. I watched him for a minute, and as he finished his routine and stood up, he collapsed. Gym personnel made him comfortable and the ambulance arrived within 5 minutes, tops. I stood there in awe, in disbelief that I had sensed this occurrence in advance. The man survived. I truly believe that I picked up on his thoughts of chest pain and his impending collapse. The most intense evidence of the power of thought energy happened to me Wednesday, March 23, 2011. The night before I had been driving thru Dunedin, FL, which is just north of Clearwater, where I live. I drove through a familiar area and was thinking of the couple who helped us get established in Florida..they used to live in that area. They were "snow birds", spending summers in Galesburg, IL where I grew up, and winters in Dunedin. Bill and Evelyn Corbin knew my parents for years, helped us find our first place to stay here, showed us around, etc. Bill died 19 years ago, and I think that's the last time I talked to Evelyn. So I was thinking of her the next morning here at work, and Googled her name to see if I could find a phone number (or an obituary, she's almost 87). I gave up, no info, really. Early that afternoon, my phone here at work rings. "Is this David Cunningham? " "Yes, is this Evelyn?" And it WAS! She said she'd been thinking of me and my family all morning, and the last thing she remembered was that I worked for Saturn. So she started calling ex-Saturn dealerships and got Tammie Smith on the line at our St Pete location, who told her the number here at Kia. Evelyn keeps busy, she's a retired hairdresser, "I go to the nursing home twice a week where my sister is, and i do all the old folks' hair just to keep busy." We vowed to keep in touch and maybe get together.
Talk about the power of Thought and energy in the universe. Things like this have happened to me before, but never so intense; I haven't seen or talked to this person in 19 years, and we both chose to think of each other at the exact same time. It gives me hope! Nine months ago, my middle school bus driver back in Illinois (John Connors) came in with his Kia on my first day here as parts manager. My co-workers think i should play the lotto more often!
Just thought I'd share. I still have goosebumps!

No comments:

Post a Comment